Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A World Through Another's Eyes - Why I Love Photography



As I grip the lens of my camera tightly with perfect technique and correct posture, I lean over ever so slowly, so as to make sure that the subject of my photograph is captured in a way that is realistic and emphasizes the purpose of it. My hands are quick to lightly press down onto the focus button and I am ready to take my next step closer to ‘catching beauty’.

Photography. From Facebook profile pictures to World class exhibition photographs, they are all forms of photography.  Why is it that we take photographs? To capture those memories that one is afraid of forgetting? Or to gain popularity and fame? Whatever purpose the photographer has in mind, all are viewed differently through every individual. The aim of a photograph, is to give the viewer the perspective that the photographer has of their particular subject and to communicate their messages across to the viewer.

I, for one as a person who has a deep interest in photography, take it very seriously. I treat it as a sport, like how an AFL player treats Football. It was only about two months ago when my inner self awakened. As I was flipping through my DeviantArt webpage , I came across a photograph, which I had bookmarked. Suddenly, as if a light bulb had switched on in an empty dilapidated house, it triggered my now growing thirst for capturing beauty. Amazed at how the photographer was able to take such a clear evocative photograph puzzled me. What techniques did he use? What equipment was needed to produce such a breath taking photograph? Questions popped up from different corners of my brain till I couldn’t take it anymore and realised that thinking about taking a photograph wouldn’t quench my thirst for taking one.

Only days later, was I able to confide to my parents about this new ‘hobby’ of mine. They laughed it off as they knew all too well about my previous hobbies including; cross-stitching, drawing, ceramic making, knitting, singing, gardening and sewing. All of which, I had failed to keep as a long term hobby. But, this time, I was serious about keeping this as a long term hobby. I even applied to work at my Aunt’s ‘Tattersalls’ stall just to try and earn a little more money to be able to purchase a decent SLR camera. After my parents witnessed me working so hard for something, they were taken aback by this sudden burst of passion I had and in the end, bought me a top of the line Nikon D5000 SLR camera with a 16GB memory card.

Everywhere I go, I use my weapon of mass destruction to shoot photographs that would melt even Jack Frost’s heart. Each click of my camera is an additional hill top I walk over towards gaining more experience.

My sole purpose as to why I take photographs? To capture beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment